A Little Bit Of History
In 1933, when North Kildare Trout and Salmon Anglers were founded, Newbridge was a really impoverished town. With the withdrawal of the British Army in 1922, Newbridge witnessed its first recession. The prosperity of Newbridge and surrounding areas was completely dependant on the army barracks in Newbridge and the Curragh Camp.
From the departure of the British Army the busiest people in Newbridge were the members of St. Vincent De Paul Society, the National Army Benevolent Fund, The Newbridge Dinner Club and The Labour Exchange. Housing was very poor and the term “Hovels” was frequently used. The town Commissioners were also very busy making representations on behalf of the many unemployed people and encouraging the powers in Government to use the unoccupied Army Barracks to provide industrial facilities.
Fortunately, Mr. Rigby Jones came and the Irish Ropes factory was opened in September of 1933. Men, who had been unemployed since the departure of the British Army in 1922, found employment. The Cutlery Factory was opened in 1935. Both factories were opened in the army barracks. These factories provided employment not alone for the people of Newbridge but for the people from surrounding towns and counties for many years. The Annual General Meeting of our association was frequently held in the Irish Ropes Canteen and the Irish Ropes Cup was presented to the Winner of our annual pike fishing competition.